Sunday, November 10, 2013

This Diwali

For the past 7 years I have never missed diwali celebrations at home , the festive spirit up there cannot be missed which comes with the added advantage of spending some time with Family ( which is not much these days!!). But this time  for various reasons it didn't seem viable to go home , thanks to my good friend for getting married few days before this festival and stupid company policy that would force me to take a vacation in December. I was apprehensive as to how it would be, no family, no close friends and no Rajasthan.  But it turned out to be the most memorable Diwali . Here is a little account of the celebrations!!!

27th October -  With Sambhav Kids

Well yeah, for me the celebration started a week in advance.3 organizers , 50+ volunteers and 50+ kids and staff came together to enjoy bunch of activities and share a meal together. My first event as an organizer with 2 more beautiful people took place on this fine day. With the love and support of so  many people the event was a true success and we achieved what we aimed for.The kids thoroughly enjoyed the storytelling , the magic show , the gifts and the delicious food cooked by all the volunteers..And we enjoyed the company of those kids , the energy they spread and the happiness they bestowed us with . Saturday couldn't get better then this.
It was a kick-start to the festive season!!!
Million dollar smile

1st Nov - Need Base India 

An old Government property where 60+ angels live. When I call them that trust me they are nothing less. It was my first visit here, I enter the premise and hear lots of chattering , I look for the room and here they are .
I am welcomed by the sweetest " Hi" from at-least 10 of them , as I approach few of them they blast me with all the innocent questions . I try to remember their names as they improve my broken kannada.
As more volunteers arrived they got hold each one of them and made sure to make them smile with their non stop chattering . We played games, did laxmi pooja , relished the snacks, lighted up the place with diyas, candles and love, burst crackers and got the warmest of hugs. While I put nail-paint on their little fingernails they surrounded me and blew me away with their charm.
These girls loved , hugged me so unconditionally that even for 1 moment I didn't feel I was meeting them for the first time .As i got ready to leave the place they made sure to give me a goodbye hug and in return asked  to come back soon.
You should come with me and meet these girls, they are the most beautiful creation of God.

3rd Nov - OMASHRAM

Well without a doubt I love this place and hence we decided to do our 2nd event here.Volunteers arrived on time and it was worth seeing their enthusiasm, Luru definitely got the most enthusiastic and committed volunteers. My few artist friends got down to work and made beautiful rangoli while I did my job of filling in the color the worst way( I am awful at it).... the rest decorated the room with ribbons , arranged stuff,clicked photographs ,  got the diyas ready and Me?? well , I just monitored and encouraged them :)
With the help of our donor friends we sponsored sweaters for the all elderly's :)
The evening was spent chatting with the ajjis, lighting the place with diyas , hogging on sweets and the most delicious set doasas with chatni , being responsible for the all the noise and sound pollution and having a gala time with the all awesome people . And oh yes, posing for the camera!!!After all we all got dressed in ethnic wear :)

This was definitely the most special Diwali I had till date with amazing people and for the most beautful people.
I learnt the meaning of true festive spirit and that  happiness doubles up if you share . You just need to take out some time and you will be showered with love ,laughter and more lOve.

"Meet the Volunteers"
 I bless the day I decided not to go home.

12 comments:

  1. there is no telling how far a single act of kindness will travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Chen for giving it a read and contributing to all the smiles we spread this Diwali ..owe a big thanks to you as well :)

      Delete
  3. Love you Rashmi :) Stay Blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love Geeta Aunty and thanks for reading it :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Welcome to the beautiful world of Volunteering Anand..Your contribution is much appreciated

      Delete
  5. Interesting. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr Dsouza for reading it and being part of the events :)

      Delete
  6. Very Nice...Proud of you. God Bless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oyeee rushmi..u thanked everyone..knock..knock..isnt 1st come 1st served principle not being in apllication here kyaaa?

    ReplyDelete

Stuck in Life

 How many times have you felt 'STUCK’, not in the traffic jam or check-in queue kinds, the one with more impact, STUCK IN LIFE?  For man...